Sunday, July 22, 2012

Baby Adam's Birth

On my last check-up baby Adam was estimated to be 3.1 kg. I felt safe in my progress weight-wise because Kara was 3.544 kg when I gave birth to her. I gave birth to healthy baby Adam at 3.4 kg last July 17.

I kept praying he would be safe and normal and that I could have a safe, normal, uneventful delivery. I am so grateful my months of prayer had been answered.

I hoped also that this time around, things could go more 'by the book' in terms of labour signs. With Kara, I leaked amniotic fluid way before I ever felt any contractions so I came to the hospital unsure about how things would go and progress. We had to worry about getting contractions within the allotted time of 24 hours then too. 

 
With Adam, things did go more 'by the book'. I awoke at about 5 am and felt a contraction. Because I had started feeling them the night before as we had my long walk (to help the baby along), and because the day before had been my estimated due date already, I decided to time and record the contractions. Sure enough they came at regular intervals of about 7 minutes. Although each only lasted for about 30 seconds, I decided to wake Gual up and prepare just in case. At 6 am, before leaving, I had my bloody show. It really was time to go to the hospital. 
 
We only ate a sandwich each then headed on. Naturally, I wasn't allowed to eat anymore after I was admitted. I felt so hungry during my contractions.
 
Because I had been going to Thompson Medical for my check ups and was actually under the care of a different doctor than the one we chose to deliver the baby, it was our first time at the hospital, Mt. Alvernia! It was good the guard and a helpful lady showed us the way because we actually didn't know where to go!
 
I was induced, as per doctor's orders (not really sure why). Then later, she broke my waters. I had said I would try without the epidural but, literally, just a few minutes after she left, the pain shot up to unbearable! The gas wasn't really helping, so I set aside my fears of getting paralyzed with the epidural. The anesthetist made me a bit worried because he got and accepted two calls while he was in the room! Thankfully he did a wonderful job despite it. He was able to get it in within a few short minutes and afterwards, oh, no more pain! (I started to feel chilly, though).
 
With the epidural, I had no problems pushing. Adam Spencer was out within a few more contractions, a healthy baby boy!




No comments:

Post a Comment